Thursday, June 27, 2013

Stand Up to Building a Better Product

Okay, this post is related to developing our desktop to web app but in a different way – health. I sit all day and sketch wireframes, explore UI designs, read emails, and then sit some more for research and creating mockups, then some more for lunch, and then in meetings, as well as the commute to and from work. Sit, sit, sit.

Transition: I made a conscious effort to get up more by putting a timer app on my computer that reminded me to get up and move, but really, I needed a reminder to stand, c'mon? I tried stretching at our daily stand-up meetings and doing the occasional squats, but nothing consistent. Reading emails and articles while standing was okay, but hunching over wasn't the most comfortable. I needed to go a step further.

All in: So after a while I thought, how about the opposite. Why not stand all day? Get the blood moving, muscles working, and sit when I need a rest. Now stretching happens more regularly, and although I do have to sit once in a while I'm standing a good 6.5-7 hours per day. Mentally I feel better, I think I'm more focused and less lethargic which I believe makes me think clearer. And if I'm thinking better, then my roll in helping to build the software will be that much better as well. 

I started a blog (standing@work) with really short entries to give people a sense of how I feel during the transition period and what thoughts I'm having while trying this new life style. I sure hope it lasts!


Here are some articles that discuss the problems of sitting all day.
What are the risks of sitting too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment